Thursday, June 5, 2008

Walking Fish

Tonight is a realtime blog. I walked up to a new theatrical venue that has opened in the newly arty Fishtown neighborhood in hope of meeting some stimulating people and perhaps participate in the community . I walked past corner bars ( broken beer bottle, skinny toothless Fishtown guy pounding fruitlessly on a door), large pudding of a woman on her front stoop-to her son: " Go up and put your pajamas on ( pronounced "own") and you can come out side ( aowtsahd.)" Then, across from Father and Son Pizza, the Walking Fish Theatre Co. I missed the formal grand opening, but I met the husband and wife whose enterprise it is and shared Rowhouse Ale and conversation. They do lots of neighborhood educational things as well as new Fringe stuff. I got a tour of the rehabbed apartment above the theater space, then gradually the few remaining people began to kind of perform. I just watched as two conversations played in front of me: First, on the stage:
" So a duck walks into a bar and asks " Do you have any grapes?""
People in front of me: " So I paint a layer of silver, then i fill in with spackle then I paint a layer of primer."
On the stage: " Yes, I want to do a radio play here."
" Do you have a tech person?"
"No. Can you do a foley board?"
"Yes, I can do it all. "
" We did Wating for Godot as a radio play. Think about it!"
In front of me: "The fucking color was -"
Eventually on stage: "So the bartender says:"
In front of me:" No we don't have any grapes- get out of here!"
"So the duck leaves the bar. Then he comes back again and asks: Do you have any grapes? And the bartender says-"
"No!! Get the hell out of here or I'll nail your webbed feet to the floor. So the duck makes like he's leaving, but he comes back in and asks: Do you have any nails?"
"Bartender shouts:NO!"
"The duck says: So, do you have any grapes?"

The night devolved into inside alternative theater personality gossip, so I slipped away, walked back past the ice cream truck and people on stoops and open doors to TVs and reclining cats and kids sloping about on the corners.

1 comment:

Gargoyle said...

write more, mama. I check it every five hours!